To age in place, control over finances and self-managed care: what older Australians want
Older Australians want to stay at home as long as possible and continue to have greater control over their finances through self-managed care, according to a new Home Industry Study by Catalyst Research.
The online survey, conducted during March 2022 with over 4,000 responses from across Australia, found that:
- For 71% of respondents, staying at home for longer or avoiding residential care was their motivation for considering home care to allow them to manage ageing in familiar surroundings while maintaining positive relationships
- Retaining more control over their spending was cited as the biggest benefit of self-managed care by 78% of respondents
- 60% cited that the number one reason they would choose to change a provider was inconsistent staffing
- Half of the respondents were concerned about cost and the fear that services would not be up to their standard
- 43% were challenged in navigating home care, and four in ten see the wait time as a barrier
- Only 11% knew if they had unspent funds.
Self-management is key to ageing in place
According to the Department of Health’s website, home care providers currently hold more than $1.5 billion of aged care consumers’ Home Care Package funds.
However, as mentioned above, only 11% of respondents knew that they had unspent funds.
Mable CEO Peter Scutt says “The current home care package system can be confusing. It is costly and inefficient, and despite its claim of being a consumer-directed care approach, it can fail to acknowledge that even as we age, we can still have a choice and control over our own needs.”
“Rather than 10-12 hours of support per week, clients can access 18 to 20 hours of support per week by self-managing a home care package using Mable, directly resulting in an improved quality of life,” he adds.
Benefits of self-managing a home care package
By self-managing your home care package through Mable, you are empowered to have choice and control.
- You choose the support services you want
- You choose your support workers
- You mutually decide how much to pay for your support services
- You get more hours of support as compared to a traditional provider
- You get to develop long-term support relationships through continuity of care.
Do you make these mistakes when you think about aged care?
If you’re that person who will do anything to avoid…
Thinking about in-home aged care and support? Here’s the support you can find on Mable
Here at Mable, we know that support can mean very…