A support worker’s guide to Mable

Offering transport via Mable: your questions answered

Last updated 25 August 2023

If you’re an independent support worker, there will be times your client may ask you to provide them with transport. There are often many questions asked by clients for support workers who would like to include transport within their suite of services. Here, we’ve addressed some of the most frequently asked questions.

Many independent support workers on the Mable platform are looking for ways to expand their skills and find more clients. But offering transport to clients as part of your role as a support worker could be one simple way to reach more clients, with skills that you already have.

What do I need to provide transport services?

In addition to a police check, ABN and relevant references required to be approved as an independent support worker, you will need to provide a valid Australian driver’s license. In most cases, you will also need to have your own vehicle.  Mable is a platform that connects independent workers directly with clients. As an independent worker, any vehicle that you use to provide services to clients is your own responsibility. As you are running your own business, if you choose to provide transport to clients, you may be able to claim some costs of your vehicle as a tax deduction. We recommend you speak with your accountant directly about this.

Can I use my client’s car to provide them with transport?

This is up to you and your client to decide and make any necessary arrangements. Many independent support workers who work with clients on an ongoing basis and regularly use their client’s car would ask to be added as a driver under their client’s car insurance. You will need to discuss these arrangements directly with your client – and you both must be comfortable with them.

How is this covered under Mable’s insurances?

Booking on Mable gives you protections and safeguards, including a high-level suite of insurances. This coverage includes Public Liability, Personal Accident cover and Professional Indemnity for claims arising from the performance of your duties. If you intend to use your own vehicle to provide transport services, you will need to have your own insurance. If you would like more information on insurance via Mable, you can find it here.

Can I charge more for providing transport?

Many independent workers who provide transport to clients as part of their services will decide to charge more for those sessions where transport is included. The best way to do this is to discuss with your client how much transport will be required.

Mable makes it simple for you to invoice your travel per kilometre for NDIS, aged care (those with a home care package) and privately-funded clients (Travel Rates). Please visit our guide to learn more about Travel Rates on Mable.

What about travel time?

It’s not standard practice to be reimbursed separately for travel costs to and from your session. As an independent support worker on Mable, you can choose your clients and where you work. You can decide that you’re only going to work shifts with a minimum length, especially if you’re covering a broad geographical area and want to feel the travel is worthwhile.

Becoming an independent support worker on Mable means you can benefit from:

  1. Work-life balance – you choose your rates, schedule and clients.
  2. Meaningful client relationships – make a positive impact in your community.
  3. Safeguards including a high-level suite of insurances.
  4. Tools and resources to manage your small business.
  5. Free education from the Mable Learning Hub to upskill with training from reputable providers.

Find out more about working independently and supporting people in your community by signing up to Mable.

back to top