- It’s okay to identify as disabled: Zoe
- Basketball, photography and more: How Charlie’s life ‘restarted’ through Mable
- Paralympics, arts and more: How Nick does what he loves with Mable
- Reviewing cafes for accessibility: How Ashlee is pursuing her passion
- Guitar, martial arts, yoga: Skills Nissa is learning with support through Mable
Sign up to have the latest news, articles and resources delivered to your inbox.
It’s that time of the year when long weekends and public holidays are just around the corner. As an independent support worker on Mable, you have the freedom to choose how you run your small business during this time.
Maybe you just want to continue with your usual support hours. If you are planning to take some time off or looking for an opportunity to earn some extra income over the holidays, now is the time to prepare accordingly. Here’s how.
Taking time off? Let your clients know
As an independent contractor, it’s up to you whether public holidays mean days off. Your clients may still need ongoing support over the holidays. If you are not going to be available over the period, make sure you give your clients plenty of notice so they can make alternative arrangements.
Even better, if you have any Mable ‘buddies’, or other independent workers you know on Mable, you can recommend them to your client. Your client can then set up a meet and greet to see if they are suitable for their support needs.
Mable’s Community of Independent Workers on Facebook is a great place to find out if there are any other support workers in your client’s local area who may be interested in filling in your shift.
Setting your public holiday rates
On Mable, independent support workers set their own rates, mutually agreed upon with their clients.
If you decide to review your rates, it’s important to keep these things in mind:
- Make sure you discuss any revision to your rates with your clients well in advance
- Once they have agreed on the rates, it’s important that you send them an updated agreement through the Mable platform. Ensure that your client accepts this agreement through Mable before you provide your support session
- The conversation may take your client by surprise, so take this into account when you bring it up
- Your rate change decision should be made in the context of your relationship with your client. It’s always a good idea to explicitly state on your profile that you revise rates for public holidays, so potential clients know this right from the start.
Read more about things to consider when setting public holiday rates.
Picking up extra work over the public holidays
If you would like to work, but are not currently engaged, be sure to keep an eye on your jobs board. With some independent workers opting to take time off, there are often clients looking for someone new to cover shifts over this period.
Many clients also use Mable Last Minute to find support last minute. Here’s how you can opt in to Mable Last Minute to get notifications for these jobs.
Start preparing your small business for the upcoming holidays now.
Looking to pick up extra work and haven’t yet signed up on Mable? By joining Mable as an Independent Support Worker, you have the flexibility to choose your clients, set your own rates and choose the hours you work. You’ll be covered by our suite of high-level insurances, have access to over 170+ training courses and 24/7 counselling and wellbeing support. Get started on Mable today.