ABN: Support Worker

As part of becoming an independent support worker on Mable, you need to provide us with an Australian Business Number (ABN), which you can obtain from the Australian Business Register.

What is a Sole Trader?
This is the simplest form of business structure as you can trade in your own name.

The structure is inexpensive to set up because there are few legal and tax formalities. If you operate your business as a sole trader, the business is you. You trade on your own and control and manage the business. You are legally responsible for all aspects of the business – debts and losses cannot be shared. Many individuals starting as a sole trader decide to trade under their own name (eg. Mary Smith). Alternatively, you can also register a business name (such as Mary Smith Cares). The decision is yours.

As a sole trader, you use your individual tax file number (TFN) when you lodge your income tax return. The business income is treated as your individual income and you are solely responsible for any tax the business must pay.

Does Mable require an ABN to list my profile?
Mable requires an ABN before you can be approved as you will be operating as an independent contractor. In addition to this, an ABN is usually required on invoices we issue for any clients you work with who have government funding. You can apply easily and for free through the Australian Business Register website directly.

Your ABN should be in your name (or in a business name registered under your name) for verification on the Australian Business Register.

What is an Australian Business Number (ABN)?
If you carry on an enterprise in Australia as a sole trader, you can apply for an ABN for your business and use this number for all your business dealings.
You can apply for your ABN easily and for free through the Australian Business Register website directly.

Do I have to register for Goods and Services Tax (GST)?
You can register for GST if you carry on an enterprise. You can apply for GST registration for free on your ABN application form on the Australian Business Register website. You must be registered for GST if your annual GST turnover is $75,000 or more.
We recommend you speak to your accountant or tax advisor to ascertain whether you are required to register for GST.

For more information, you may visit

Australian Taxation Office – Starting your own business
Department of Fair Trading – Business structure

Please note, this information shouldn’t be considered legal, accounting or tax advice. Please contact an accountant, tax adviser or financial adviser for more information.

back to top