• Help Centre
  • ABN and GST information for support workers

ABN and GST information for support workers

As part of becoming an independent support worker on Mable, you need to provide us with an Australian Business Number (ABN). You will also need to check if GST applies to the specific services you are providing.

What do you need help with?

What is an ABN?

An ABN is a unique 11-digit number that identifies your business. It does not replace your Tax File Number.

Adding an ABN to my Mable profile

As an independent support worker you must add an ABN to your profile before you can be approved to apply for jobs on the Mable platform. You add your ABN to your account when you first set it up. Read more about why you need an ABN.

You can get an ABN from the Australian Business Register.

You’ll also usually need an ABN on invoices issued for clients who have government funding.

Helpful information for the ABN application

When filling out the ABN registration form with the Australian Business Register you will be asked the following question:

Are you doing things that are consistent with running a business?

You can select Yes.

By registering with Mable and creating a profile, you have:

  1. Advertised your business
  2. Registered with an Organisation to provide services

Should I be charging GST for my services on Mable?

Although most services conducted through the Mable platform are GST-free, it is important for you to check if GST applies to the specific services you are providing as an independent support provider running your own business.

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) provides guidance explaining how the GST rules apply to support services, which is accessible via the links listed below:

If you have any further questions relating to GST, we recommend you speak to an accountant or tax advisor who can help you find out whether you need to register for GST.

Mable has partnered with YOUtax to provide heavily discounted services to all registered independent support workers on the platform. Learn more about Mable’s Tax Benefits Program.

You can apply for GST registration for free on your ABN application form on the Australian Business Register website.

For more information, you can visit the Australian Taxation Office – Starting your own business page or the Department of Fair Trading – Business structure.

What is a Business Activity Statement?

If your business is GST-registered, you need to lodge a Business Activity Statement (BAS) with the ATO either monthly, quarterly or annually depending on your registration requirements.

A BAS summarises all the business taxes you have paid or will pay to the government during a specific period. Learn more about BAS and how they work.


This information shouldn’t be considered legal, accounting or tax advice. Please contact an accountant, tax adviser or financial adviser for more information.