- It’s okay to identify as disabled: Zoe
- Basketball, photography and more: How Charlie’s life ‘restarted’ through Mable
- Paralympics, arts and more: How Nick does what he loves with Mable
- Reviewing cafes for accessibility: How Ashlee is pursuing her passion
- Guitar, martial arts, yoga: Skills Nissa is learning with support through Mable
Sign up to have the latest news, articles and resources delivered to your inbox.
After a busy and unusual year, the holiday season is here! If, like so many other people, it’s caught you off guard too, we’ve got the answer to finding the help you need to keep up and to not miss out on those fun social gatherings.
How to use Mable Last Minute
- Log in to your account (website or app)
- Click on the orange ‘Post a job’ button
- Click on ‘Last Minute Job’ then ‘Create a Last Minute job’
- Fill in the information required
Your job will be posted and shown to independent support workers in your area who have registered their availability, so they are ready and waiting to be booked. You’ll receive offers from up to 5 workers and it’ll be up to you to accept one of their offers at least two hours before the job start time.
The following are some scenarios that have come up for clients already this year and they were very happy to be able to access support at short notice.
Last-minute Christmas party
Friends in town unexpectedly? Feel like organising a get-together for people from church? If you’re in the mood for a little festive shindig, your support worker can work with you to bring it all together. Depending on your needs, they can support by:
- shopping for food, gifts and decorations
- wrapping gifts and writing cards
- organising music
- having your home tidy and ready for visitors
- cleaning up afterwards.
Last-minute help with cooking
Especially during the summer heat, cooking can be an arduous task. And when you have to do it at short notice, a little help really comes in handy. You can book a support session to get help with:
- shopping for ingredients
- preparing ingredients ahead of cooking
- baking cakes and cookies
- making room in the fridge and freezer
- cleaning up the kitchen
- setting the table, ready for mealtime.
Having last-minute help with cooking means you can enjoy a stress-free meal. You can cook and bake together or have your support worker do the lion’s share for you.
Last-minute gift shopping
It’s hard to remember everyone you have to buy for. Aside from family, you might like to give gifts to neighbours or your best friend who lives interstate. At this time of year, the shopping centres are crowded but perhaps you want to get amongst it all and soak up the festive atmosphere. Whatever your choice, your support worker can help by:
- taking you to personally shop for gifts
- going shopping with you after discussing what you have in mind
- wrapping presents and writing cards
- posting any presents for recipients you won’t get to see.
Write a list with your support worker over a cup of tea and no doubt, you’ll enjoy having a chat about your intended gift recipients and why they’re so special to you.
Last-minute help decorating your house
Well, deck the halls and celebrate the season! If you’re a bit behind on your decorations, no worries. You could connect with a support worker to get organised together. In fact, what a lovely activity to do together during your support session if you usually have domestic help. They could help you by:
- finding and taking out your existing decorations
- buying new decorations
- putting up the Christmas tree
- hanging fairy lights and adding garden decorations.
Search by interests
Aside from making a Mable Last Minute booking, you can also search for support workers who have the interests you need. For instance, for help with cooking or baking:
- Log in to your account
- Click on the orange ‘Search & message workers’ button
- Then click on ‘More Filters’ (the fourth tab, in orange). On the right side, look for ‘Interests’ and click on the drop-down menu
- Click on ‘Cooking’ (for example) and you’ll be shown profiles of support workers who enjoy cooking.
Or search by ‘Services’. Click on the services you need such as ‘Provide Transport’, ‘Meal Delivery, Preparation & Shopping’, ‘Light Housework’ or ‘Companionship & Social Support’. Reach out to the support workers in your area who fit your requirements.
Find the support you need to enjoy the holidays
However you celebrate the festive season, Mable is here to connect you with independent support workers who can make the holidays stress-free and enjoyable.
Post a Mable Last Minute job now!