- It’s okay to identify as disabled: Zoe
- Basketball, photography and more: How Charlie’s life ‘restarted’ through Mable
- Paralympics, arts and more: How Nick does what he loves with Mable
- Reviewing cafes for accessibility: How Ashlee is pursuing her passion
- Guitar, martial arts, yoga: Skills Nissa is learning with support through Mable
Sign up to have the latest news, articles and resources delivered to your inbox.
Each year on 3rd December we mark the United Nations International Day of People With Disability and Mable is always keen to be involved. The day aims to increase public awareness, understanding and acceptance of people with disability and celebrate their achievements and contributions.
2021’s International Day of People with Disability theme
This year, the theme is ‘Leadership and participation of persons with disabilities toward an inclusive, accessible and sustainable post-COVID-19 world’.
As an organisation that represents a large group of people with disability, Mable is proud to play an active role in IDPWD! Below are the events that we’ve been busy with and will be involved in on the day/s.
2021 Victorian Disability Sport & Recreation Festival
Crown Riverwalk, Melbourne CBD, Vic
10am-2pm, 3rd December 2021
‘All Festivals’ is putting on the Disability Sport & Recreation Festival and Mable is providing prizes for any person registered, with or without a disability, to engage in and experience inclusive sport for any ability.
The event features around 30 exhibitors and three activity zones where you can try different inclusive sport and recreational activities. Teams will be battling it out in the AFL Wheelchair Corporate Challenge, up to 200 police and Special Olympics athletes will be running with the Flame of Hope to light the cauldron and you could meet Paralympians.
If you’re in Melbourne, we’d love for you to join us!
Inclusive Film Festival (IFF)
Petersham Town Hall. 107 Crystal Street, Petersham, NSW
6pm, 17th December 2021 (date moved due to elections)
With the theme ‘What IFF we included everybody all the time?” the Inclusive Film Festival
The films featuring on the night include:
- Groundhog Night – Gary’s so used to caring for his disabled daughter Jess, he can do it in his sleep. But when the in-laws come to stay, everyone will get a wakeup call.
- People and Power – This film investigates claims of a shameful failure to protect disabled people during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- How Major Depression Feels Like for Me – A film that attempts to show others who haven’t experienced depression, what it feels like for someone who has.
- The Little Things – A day in the life of a 4-foot tall aspiring actor with disability and his humorous outtake on his everyday incidental struggles.
- Also showing are Not a Wallflower, The Inclusive Film Maker, Comican’t and Lobster.
Mable has been part of the organising committee and will be providing on-the-day support, setup and Concierge services. For those who can’t attend, the event is being live streamed for free.
All Access Day at the Beach
10am-3pm, 3rd December 2021
Mooloolaba Main Beach, Mooloolaba, Qld
Enjoy a day out at the beach, with beach matting in place and the availability of beach wheelchairs and a hoist. Activities include modified beach volleyball and rugby, tai chi, sand play and seated yoga.
The event is a collaboration between Sunshine Coast Council, Mooloolaba Surf Life Saving Club and members of the Disability Services Sector. Mable has been part of the organising committee and will be providing on-the-day support, setup and Concierge services.
Tickets are free and bookings are required to monitor numbers. Come along and have a wonderful day!
We hope you can join us for one of these events!