Part of ageing well is living life to the fullest and even though your preferred activities may have changed over the years, there’s so much to explore and experience.
Summer is not far off and as the thousands of independent support workers offering their services through Mable have such diverse interests and skills, you’re bound to find someone who would enjoy exploring some of the following activities with you! Go through the following list of activities and decide which pique your enthusiasm.
Prefer to stay indoors? We have some ideas!
There are tons of things you can do at home during summer with your support worker guiding you and helping you plan! Even if you wouldn’t know where to start, your support worker will.
- Baking – Whip up some fluffy homemade scones for morning tea and invite a couple of friends around.
- Write your memoirs – Relay your life stories to your support worker who can write them down as your memoirs for family to treasure.
- Karaoke – Choose your playlist and sing to your heart’s content.
- Join an activities group – Play competitive chess, brush up on your woodworking skills at Men’s Shed, start a book club or help out at the Country Women’s Association.
- Celebrate the season – Support workers on the Mable website come from many different cultural backgrounds. Search for one who can help you plan for your particular holiday traditions.
- Puzzles and games – Put your brain into gear with card games, sudoku, crosswords, word searches, anagrams, board games and jigsaw puzzles.
- Volunteer – With major holidays just around the corner, there are many organisations that would appreciate your help with activities such as gift wrapping, mentoring, reading to others, filling goodie bags and telling stories.
- Find your calm – Relax your body and mind with yoga, meditation, stretching and deep breathing.
- Expand your computer skills – Learn how to use social media, contribute to forums, post items you want to sell and build your own website.
Some outdoor activities to enjoy this summer
Here are some refreshing ideas on activities to do outdoors this summer. Remember, your support worker can help you plan, dress and travel to events. Let your mind dream of bigger and brighter outings that will bring you joy, physical activity and social connection.
- Gardening – Create a balcony herb or flower garden or tend to your fruit trees along with your support worker.
- Bird watching – Discover the many species of birdlife in your local area.
- Yard games – Bocce, croquet, lawn bowls, beanbag toss and horseshoes are just some of the outdoor games you can play, some at home, some at clubs.
- Outdoor movies – Look up your local outdoor cinema and catch a movie under the stars.
- Barbecue boat – Hire one of these beauties and enjoy a few hours and a sausage sizzle.
- Metal detecting – You never know what trinkets you could unearth when you rent a metal detector.
- Aqua aerobics – Your local pool may provide lessons for all abilities, fitness levels and ages.
- Outdoor concerts – From baroque music to free choir performances, outdoor concerts are often put on by local councils.
- Flea markets, fairs and fetes – Wander around, see the sights, do some Christmas shopping if needed and have a tasty treat.
- Go fishing – A support worker can take you to a river, the beach or on a half-day fishing trip.
No matter your physical abilities or your desire to stay at home or venture out into the world, the possibilities are endless when you have support. Browse the profiles of independent support workers on the Mable website and you’ll soon find yourself looking forward to fresh companionship and new events.