Join mable Join mable

Join Mable for FREE to view support workers profiles

  • Peace of mind

    Each independent support worker has been verified with both police checks and references.

  • Better value support

    Because we’re online, our costs are lower. We pass the savings onto you!

  • Freedom of choice

    Enjoy the freedom and flexibility that comes with having a direct relationship with your support team.

How do I report abuse or neglect of people with disability?

Should you observe any signs or abuse or neglect, you must report them to the appropriate state authority.
Abuse may take the form of physical, emotional, mental or sexual abuse, or neglect. Some signs of possible abuse include:

  • Unexplained physical injuries
  • Dehydration or lack of food
  • Poor hygiene
  • Nervous behaviour in the presence of a particular individual
  • Reluctance to talk openly and avoidance of face or eye contact.

Suspected incidents of child abuse or abuse of person with disability
If you as the care worker suspects any form of abuse, it is mandatory for you to report it. You should contact the relevant Sate authority.
ACT – Office for Children, Youth and family Support 1300 556 729
NSW – Department of Family and Community Service 132 111
Northern Territory – Department of Children and Families 1800 700 250
Queensland – Department of Communities Child Safety and Disability Services 1800 811 810
South Australia – Department of Education and Child Development 131 478
Tasmania – Department of Health and Human Services 1300 737 639
Victoria – Department of Human Services 131 278 (Urgent Concerns)
Western Australia – Department of Child Protection and Family Support 1800 622 258 or 1800 199 008 for after hours
Suspected elder abuse
Although there is no mandatory requirement to report elder abuse in any State in Australia, as a care worker operating on the Mable platform, we require that you do report it as part of our ethical code of conduct.
States have set up helplines where care workers who suspect elder abuse can discuss their concerns. Contact details for each state:
ACT – Older Persons Abuse Prevention Referral and Information Line 02 6205 3535
NSW – NSW Elder Abuse Helpline 1800 628 221
Northern Territory – Northern Territory Police 131 444
Queensland – Elder Abuse Prevention Unit 1300 651 192
South Australia – Aged Rights Advocacy Service 08 8232 5377 (Adelaide) Alliance for the Prevention of Elder Abuse 1800 700 600 (rural)
Tasmania – Tasmanian Elder Abuse Helpline 1800 441 169
Victoria – Seniors Rights Victoria 1300 368 821
Western Australia – Advocare Inc. 1300 724 679 (Perth) 1800 655 566 (rural)

back to top