With International Day of People with a Disability coming up on December 3rd, we are delighted to share with you a list of exciting and accessible experiences, events and activities that will be on offer throughout the summer in Sydney. All contact and booking information about the events and experiences are included, to make it easy to get connected.
If you need extra support for attending any one of these experiences, you can search the profiles of independent support workers here.
The Scuba Gym
The Scuba Gym is one of the leading operators in Australia offering accessible opportunities scuba diving experiences. The antigravity environment of the water enables incredible things to happen! The Scuba Gym welcomes people with PTSD, autism, paraplegia, quadriplegia, traumatic brain injury and other disabilities to experience the unique sensation of scuba therapy. Scuba Therapy helps to improve muscle tone and strength, improves lung function, boosts the lymphatic system and rewires the nervous system to increase movement in limbs. The Scuba Gym travels across several aquatic centres with pools deeper than 1.8metres, around Sydney and up to the Hunter, to deliver scuba therapy sessions and scuba camps.
The Scuba Gym may be best suited for people who are :
- Water confident; but you don’t need to be a swimmer
- Able to take clear instructions (verbal and/or signalled)
- Have no challenging behaviours which would impact on the experience
The Scuba Gym indicates that they have :
|Accessible Entrance||Temporary/ Moveable furniture|
|Accessible Path of Travel||Accessible Service Area|
|Accessible Toilet||Mobility Parking|
|Accessible Powerpoints||Audio Description|
Various dates and times are available. Please contact The Scuba Gym at https://thescubagym.com.au directly to enquire further.
243 Blackwall Rd, Woy Woy, NSW, 2256
042 038 0055
Water Ski Come n’ Try Day
New South Wales Water Ski Federation – Disabled Division is a Water Ski program open to all ages with various physical disabilities or vision impairment. It is a great alternative sport that can operate on different levels, depending on the skier. The skier can enjoy the experience of being towed behind the boat at a low speed or, they can experience a faster speed, crossing & jumping the wake. It’s totally up to the skier. Water Ski Federation hold a selection of various modified sit skis & other equipment including life jackets, ski ropes & handles that are available to be used by the skiers. They are a not for profit organisation run by volunteers.
WaterSki Come n’ Try Day may be best suited for people who are/have :
- A physical disability or vision impairment
- Water confident; but you don’t need to be a swimmer
- Able to give & take clear instructions (verbal and/or signalled)
WaterSki Come n’ Try Day indicates that they have:
|Accessible Path of Travel (some paths are gravel)|
|Easy Access to Water|
Come n’ Try Day is on Saturday 30th November, starting at 10am.
NSW Ski Gardens, 2916 River Rd Wisemans Ferry 2775
Further info at http://www.disabledwaterskinsw.com
For bookings or for more information contact Sharon on 0412 966712 or email@example.com
Catmosphere is Sydney’s original cat cafe and consists of a regular cafe. Catmosphere are passionate about cats, their welfare, rescue and rehoming, and advocacy of all cats whether owned or unowned. Catmosphere, allow you to book experiences with their kittens. Set over 3 levels; their first floor is wheelchair accessible, giving access to the kitten experience and a quaint courtyard. Catmosphere welcome groups and individuals with companion cards and offer a 50% discount on any experience.
Catmosphere may be best suited for people who:
- Enjoy the calming benefits of animals, especially cats/kittens
- Have no challenging behaviours which would impact on the cats/kittens
- Please note that people who are 12 years old and under must be supervised at all times by a paying parent/guardian
The 1st floor of Catmosphere Cafe has :
|Accessible Path of Travel|
|Temporary/ Moveable Furniture|
The 2nd-3rd floor of Catmosphere Cafe have are not wheelchair accessible (stairs-only); where Catmosphere host their cat experience and CatFlix cat cinema.
Open Monday to Sunday (closed Tuesday)
For people who use wheelchairs and/or have companion cards, please contact Catmosphere prior to booking.
66 Foveaux Street, Surry Hills, NSW, 2560
(02) 8098 0741
Empower Golf has introduced over 10,000 Australians with disability to golf. Empower hosts Come and Try Golf clinics across Australia; introducing new people to golf for the first time, or reintroducing former players to the game they love, after an accident or illness. Players of all abilities have the opportunity to try golf, the amazing ParaGolfer and other adaptive equipment guided by an accredited All Abilities golf coach. Empower also establishes inclusive golf facilities and delivers lessons and support services nationally.
Empower Golf is best suited to :
- people of all abilities who love the outdoors,
- those who enjoy relaxed social interaction
- anyone prepared to try something new
Most Empower Golf venues have:
|Accessible Entrance||Accessible Service Area|
|Accessible Path of Travel||Mobility Parking|
|Accessible Toilet||Public Transport|
|Accessible Wayfinding & Signage||Accessible Powerpoints|
|Assistive Listening||Sign Language Interpretation|
|Temporary/ Moveable Furniture||Audio Description|
Various Dates for Come and Try Clinics in NSW in NSW in Gosford, Turramurra and Port Kembla:http://www.empowergolf.com.au/events-2/
Private classes are also available.
8/47 Gladesville Road, Hunters Hill, NSW, 2110
0466 825 044
SkateNow tailor their skate lessons to suit each student as they understand every skater has their own strengths, challenges, aspirations etc. Absolute beginners are guided step-by-step through a sequence of stages that have been designed to help them grasp the fundamentals of skateboarding in a safe, easy way. Lessons are held at local skate parks, sports centres and as we are a mobile skateboarding school we can also come to you. Skateboards, protective gear and skate obstacles can be provided. SkateNow is a NSW Active Kids Provider and are always open to talking through your goals to find the best class format.
SkateNow may be best suited for people who are :
- Able to take clear instructions (verbal and/or signalled)j
- Stand or sit without support
At SkateNow’s Redfern venue they have:
|Accessible Entrance||Accessible Path of Travel|
|Accessible Path of Travel||Public Transport (bus)|
Private classes are available on Sundays; please contact SkateNow directly to enquire further.
Redfern oval Cnr of Phillip and Elizabeth St, Redfern.
0410 545 157
- Mable is not managing or facilitating any of the events promoted here. All events are managed and conducted by independent businesses
- All information displayed has been provided by the respective independent businesses and not independently verified by Mable. If you need to clarify information based on your needs, we recommend you reach out to the facilitator directly.
- No referral fees or payments have been made between Mable and event facilitators.
- Under no circumstances will Mable be liable for any injury or loss suffered as a consequence of participation in an event or dealing with an event promoter.
- Accessibility categories have been based on City of Sydney Event guidelines.