Join mable Join mable

Join Mable for FREE to view support workers profiles

  • Peace of mind

    Each independent support worker has been verified with both police checks and references.

  • Better value support

    Because we’re online, our costs are lower. We pass the savings onto you!

  • Freedom of choice

    Enjoy the freedom and flexibility that comes with having a direct relationship with your support team.

5 Steps to Accessing a Home Care Package

A home caregiver helps senior woman in her bedroom to get dressed in the morning

A Home Care Package is a subsidised ‘package’ of funding from the Australian Government that is provided to older people who need help to continue living at home.

How much financial assistance is offered?

There are four levels of Home Care Packages offered to older people who are eligible:

  • Level 1 supports people with basic care needs – $8,250* p.a.
  • Level 2 supports people with low-level care needs – $15,045* p.a.
  • Level 3 supports people with intermediate care needs – $33,076* p.a.
  • Level 4 supports people with high-level care needs – $50,286* p.a.

How do I know if I am eligible?

To access a Home Care Package, you will need to be assessed as eligible by an Aged Care Assessment Team, who are usually located at your local hospital. Someone from the team visits your home for the assessment. You will require a referral, which is obtained by calling the My Aged Care – the Federal Government’s aged care call centre – on 1800 200 422 or go to

How much do I have to pay to get a package?

There are two types of out-of-pocket costs that you can expect to pay for accessing a Home Care Package:

  • From 1 July 2019, the basic daily fee by Home Care Package level will be:Package level 1 $9.44 or $132.16 fortnightly
    Package level 2 $9.99 or $139.86 fortnightly
    Package level 3 $10.27 or $143.78 fortnightly
    Package level 4 $10.54 or $147.56 fortnightly


  • an additional income tested fee
    You could pay up to $15.12 per day, if you:- Are single earning over $27,232.40
    – Are a member of a couple living together earning over $21,106.80
    – Are a member of a couple living apart due to illness earning over $26,712.40

    You could pay between $15.13 – $30.25 if you:

    – Are single earning over $52,634.40
    – Are a member of a couple living together earning over $40,253.20
    – Are a member of a couple living apart due to illness earning over $52,114.40

*these figures are updated twice a year, in March and September.

Your out-of-pocket costs will contribute to the total home care package you have available to obtain support services.

Services with a package

A range of services can be provided under a Home Care Package. This may include assistance with meal preparation, transport, shopping, cleaning, assistance with personal care, medication monitoring, nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, continence support etc. The services provided will depend on the amount of funds available in your package, and is also likely to include case management and/or care coordination.

How to get a Home Care Package

You will need to be assessed by a member of an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT), to receive help at home through a Home Care Package. If you are assessed as eligible for a package, you will be put in touch with a home care provider in your area who offers these funding packages. Once you have been offered a package, your provider will help you plan your funding package based on your specific needs.

Setting up a Home Care Agreement

Everyone receiving a Home Care Package must have a Home Care Agreement (including a Support Plan and Budget) that sets out what care and services you will receive and who will provide those services. You are able to nominate who provides your in-home service and negotiate costs. For example, you are able to ask for a Mable independent care worker to be hired (instead of their own staff), which will extend your funding, give you more hours of service and more choice over who provides your in-home care.

Using an advocate

You have the right to use an advocate of your choosing. An advocate could include a friend or family member, a person from the same cultural background or other person of your choosing.

This person can participate in the assessment process, reviews, complaints or in any other communication that takes place, to make sure your needs are put first.

Do you have hearing or speech impairment?

If you are deaf or who have a hearing or speech impairment you can contact My Aged Care through the National Relay Service:

  1. Visit the National Relay Service website to choose your preferred access point, and
  2. Ask for My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

Using an interpreter

If you speak a language other than English, you can contact the Translating and Interpreting Services on 131 450. TIS cover more than 100 languages and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for the cost of a local call. Ask to speak to the My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422.

5 steps to accessing a home Care Package Booklet

There is a booklet published by the Australian Government outlining five steps to accessing a Home Care Package. It contains a range of information to help consumers, and their family and carers, understand the process and costs involved for taking up a Home Care Package.

Step 1: Check your eligibility
Step 2: Find a Home Care Package provider
Step 3: Work out the costs
Step 4: Accept a Home Care Package
Step 5: Begin your services

Download 5 Steps to Accessing a Home Care Package PDF

back to top