As a care or support worker providing care services directly to clients it is likely you are operating a business as a sole trader.
Here’s how you know:
- You intend to make a profit
- This isn’t a hobby
- You repeat the same or similar services for other clients
- You have a business plan
- Your activities are organised and carried out in a businesslike manner and you keep records
- Your activities as a care or support worker are of a reasonable size and scale
- You have the relevant knowledge or skills to perform these services.
If you are operating a business as a sole trader, you trade on your own and control and manage the business. You are legally responsible for all aspects of the business and need to consider:
- Australian Business Number (ABN) registration
- GST registration
- Superannuation obligations
- Income Tax obligations
If you ‘d like more detail, download our guide to operating a business as a sole trader. You can also access this information on the ATO website.