Join mable Join mable

Join Mable for FREE to view support workers profiles

  • Peace of mind

    Each independent support worker has been verified with both police checks and references.

  • Better value support

    Because we’re online, our costs are lower. We pass the savings onto you!

  • Freedom of choice

    Enjoy the freedom and flexibility that comes with having a direct relationship with your support team.

Safeguards – Doing it right

Safeguards are in place to ensure the rights of clients are protected and it’s important to know what these are.

Understanding restrictive practice

Restrictive practices involve the use of interventions and practices that have the effect of restricting the rights or freedom of movement of a person with disability. These primarily include restraint (chemical, mechanical, social or physical) and seclusion.Australian Law Reform Commission

We encourage all workers to read Restrictive Practices in Australia.
Unless authorised by the Restrictive Practice Authorisation Panel (RPAP), restrictive practice is deemed a prohibited practice.

Reporting abuse, neglect, violence and exploitation

Independent workers need to be aware of what abuse, neglect, violence and exploitation are and how to report suspected or known incidents of these.
Reportable incidents include (but may not be limited to):

  • All forms of physical, sexual, psychological, emotional, financial, legal, civil or systemic abuse
  • Constraints and restrictive practices
  • Physical neglect – failure to provide adequate food, shelter, clothing, protection and supervision
  • Passive neglect – withholding or failure to provide the necessities of life
  • Willful deprivation – willfully denying a person assistance and thereby exposing that person to the risk of physical, mental or emotional harm
  • Emotional neglect – restricting the social, intellectual and emotional growth or well-being of a person.

In accordance with Mable’s Incident Reporting Procedure, all serious incidents must be reported to Mable by calling 1300 736 573. If the matter is urgent or life-threatening call emergency services on 000 (triple zero) first.
If you are unsure whether a matter should be reported or whom to report a matter to, call the Police Assistance Helpline on 131 444 for guidance.

Specific reporting avenues

Specific reporting avenues include the following:

When advocacy is needed

Sometimes consumers will need an advocate to speak up for them. Here are some state-based contacts for aged care and disability:

back to top